Demolishing your house can be a little overwhelming, especially if you are a first-timer. This article will walk you through several steps involved in demolishing an old house.
Reasons to demolish a house:
Main 5 reasons why the owner decides to demolish are
- Faulty foundation
- Increase the market value of a property
- Simply because the building is too old
- Natural wear and tear
- Building up of termites or pests
Methods of demolition
- Mechanical demolition: It refers to the act of demolishing the house using heavy machinery. The resulting debris is collected away by a collection van or a dumpster. And hence the cheapest and fastest means of demolition.
- Deconstruction: It refers to the process of demolishing your house manually, by hand, with the intent of salvaging materials inside your house. From materials as big as doors, windows, sinks, tubs, wirings to as small as a nail can be removed and recycled. Since the process is carefully done, expect to be charged twice or thrice as much as mechanical demolition.
- Deconstruction and demolition: Combination of deconstruction and demolition is the most economical and preferred method of taking down an old building. Initially, deconstruct a building to salvage as many reusable materials as possible. Then the remaining structure is demolished, and the debris is removed.
One of the famous house demolition Perth provides its residents secure and reliable service.
Choose the right contractor
The right contractor will provide you with a well-tailored plan to bring down your house. Discuss with them, thoroughly, the various economical options available. Make sure to have everything in written form to prevent any future disagreements.
Have your examined
Before demolition, ask your building contractor inspect your house for the following
- lead paint
- mold and rust
- rotten wood
- other dangerous materials
Disconnect existing services
Electricity, water, sewage, internet, and power services have to be disconnected before demolition. Neglecting to disconnect them, in the beginning, may hinder the services of your neighbors. Hence, make sure to submit a written communication to terminate these services two to three weeks before demolition.
Prepare for salvage
Enquire if any deconstruction companies, who will assist you in salvaging any reusable materials, are available in your area. Some charitable organizations do them for free too. Removing the reusable materials from your old house and saving it for your future new home will reduce construction costs in the future. Also, it will save both your money and time.
Tear down the house and remove the debris
Tearing down your house might take anywhere between one to several days. House demolition involves the process of tearing down your house using heavy machinery and putting away the scrap. If you choose to deconstruct the house before demolition, the process might take much longer.
Prepare for the next phase
You can either sell the plot or rebuild it after successful demolition.
Remove the debris right away, in case you decide to resell the vacant plot. If you are rebuilding it, use the heavy machinery to prepare your land for further building.